The RUSI of Tasmania, Hobart Branch meets at Legacy Hall, 159 Macquarie Street, Hobart on the third Tuesday of the month between February and October each year. Members meet at 1830 hrs and presentations start at 1915 hrs.
Launceston meets on the third Wednesday of the month except January. The time may vary depending on the speaker's availability.
Either 1200 hrs for lunch followed by the Speaker or 1800 hrs for dinner followed by the speaker.
Meals must be booked before 1200 hrs on the Friday prior to the meeting. For further information contact the Secretary.
On behalf of the RUSI Hobart committee, welcome to 2024 and a year that will no doubt be challenging across the defence and security arena.
As such we will start the year with a presentation on Gaza by Professor Tim McCormack, University of Tasmania.
The Anglesea Barracks Officers Mess (ABOM) has kindly invited us to hold our first presentation in the ABOM in Anglesea Barracks where we will be joined by Defence members undertaking Professional Military Education (PME).
• Drinks can be purchased at the bar, and nibblies will be provided.
• No obligation but if you are keen and want dinner prior, you can purchase a meal for $18 and dine-in from 5.pm to 6.15pm, but you will need to RSVP back to me by Mon 13 Feb including dietary requirements so the kitchen can prepare.
• Entry is through the front gate on Davey street. Someone will be at the main gate from 6.30pm to 7.pm to swipe you in.
• If no-one is there or you outside of these timings then press the intercom button and the guard will let you in. (we will send the attendee list to the guards prior so you do need to RSVP.).
• Parking is on the main parade ground back of the ABOM and you can enter the mess via the back door.
This should be a good opportunity to hear about Gaza and all of the associated problems from Professor Tim McCormack and the offer by the ABOM to host and join in with us is much appreciated.
For the RUSI Security Seminar Part 2 in Hobart now delayed till late is 2023 or 2024.
Recent Past events
21 November 2023 - Ross McMullin, Pompey Elliott, 'Australia's most famous fighting general'
17 October 2023 - Dr Mark Harrison, China and Taiwan
19 September 2023 - Neale Tomlin, TasRail operations, capital program, links with industry and decarbonisation opportunities
15 August 2023 - Prof Nicholas Farrelly, Australia, ASEAN and the rest: Strategies for a contested region
18 July 2023 - Mark Cooper, Tactical review of the second year of the war in the Ukraine
20 June 2023 - Wing Commander Andrew Johnson, The Defence Strategic Review.
16 May 2023 - Gary McCarthy, TasPorts - Security of Supply in Tasmania.
17 April 2023 - Lieutenant Colonel Neil Grierson - An Operational Journey from Timor to Afghanistan.
21 February 2023 - Biosecurity Tasmania - Security of Supply and Traceabilty in Tasmania.
VIDEO of the ANNUAL SECURITY SEMINAR 2022 - PART ONE "The security challenges of Antarctica" 16 June 2022, is available to view .